With the right polish and method, you can restore the shine of your wood flooring.
Consider the daily abuse your wood floors take: high heels, pet nails, children’s toys, and moving furniture, to mention a few. Even while wood floors are durable, their polish is vulnerable to scratches and scuffs. Refinishing—the process of completely sanding floors to create a new surface finish—is expensive and should be done only every few decades. However, polishing using a solution designed particularly for your floors is a simple and affordable method to restore shine, level out flaws, and extend the life of your beautiful hardwood.
The finish of your flooring, however, determines whether or not you should polish them. Polish will benefit floors with a protective surface, such as a waterproof barrier like urethane, while wax is required for floors with penetrating finishes like tung oil or untreated wood. Using the incorrect product might result in a variety of issues, such as making the floors excessively slippery, dulling the sheen, and impeding appropriate refinishing in the future. So, before you plunge in and do harm, it’s critical to establish which type of floor you have (Step 1 in this article on how to polish wood floors).
This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure here.
Should You Polish Your Hardwood Floor?
Yes. There are several advantages to polishing your hardwood floor.
- It helps the flooring seem shinier and more appealing.
- It conceals or treats scratches and scuffs.
- It protects your floors from damage caused by dogs, vacuums, and over-cleaning.
- It restores the finishing layer’s protective layer.
How to Choose the Best Hardwood Floor Polish
When looking for hardwood floor polish, there are several key aspects to consider.
- Is it possible to use the wood floor polish on other types of floors, such as laminate, vinyl, or tile? Is it capable of doing more than simply polishing? Perhaps it also serves as a wood floor cleaning and filler for scratches. Before you choose a hardwood floor polish, be sure it has a strong enough cleaning power. It could also come in helpful for other jobs.
- The greater the concentration, the greater the area that the floor polish may cover. You’ll want something focused if you have vast rooms or a larger home. It will be more cost effective to use the product.
- Polyurethane, a hazardous substance, is occasionally included in the formulation of hardwood floor polishes. It has the potential to induce respiratory distress. As a result, we would not suggest this product, especially if you have children or pets. On the market, there are several products that do not include polyurethane. We’ll tell you the toxicity level of each product in this guide. However, if you want to go fully green, you may manufacture your own hardwood floor polish out of water, olive oil, vinegar, and lemongrass essential oil. It may, however, be less effective than the items we recommend.
- Floor polishes contain a natural fragrance that varies based on the components. However, if you like a certain smell, we have a few suggestions for you.
- Always check to see whether the wood floor polish will work on your particular wood flooring. There are several types of wood flooring, including engineered, sealed, unsealed, solid wood, reclaimed wood, and others. Check the product description to ensure that it is suitable for your floor type.
- The finest hardwood floor polishes differ in price, but there are several low-cost choices. Although a bottle may be purchased for less than $7, we recommend comparing the price per ounce. These little bottles will get increasingly costly over time.
- If you’re ready for a challenge, go wild with your nail paint selection! However, many of us just want something basic and easy to use. To discover how to apply the polish, read the directions on the bottle. Make sure you have the necessary equipment to effectively apply the polish.
- Finally, determine whether the floor polish will leave a residue. Some manufacturers, such as Bona, claim that their products do not leave a residue when you polish wood floors. We urge that you read actual customer reviews to discover what they have to say about the subject. If there is any residual residue, you may wipe it away with a soft cloth once the floors have dried.
The Best Hardwood Floor Polish
We spent many hours studying consumer reviews, professional recommendations, and the items themselves. With this information, we’ve compiled a list of the top ten hardwood floor polishes on the market.
Check out the Method Wood Polish with almond flavour if you want a glossy and fragrant finish. It has a deep, nutty aroma that is extremely comforting! It’s not too sweet, and it doesn’t linger. Customers adore this one-of-a-kind perfume, which many describe as smelling like a cake or pastry. Yum.
This is also an excellent polisher for wood floors. It also works on wood furniture and cabinets.
It gives your floors a streak-free sheen by using plant-based oils and polishers.
It comes in a convenient spray container made of recycled and recyclable plastic, making application simple. The Method Wood Polish will bring out the inherent beauty of your hardwood flooring.
On a tight budget yet still want gleaming floors? Not an issue. The Pledge Floor Gloss Liquid is a fantastic product that costs less than $10.
When you apply this polish, your floors will appear brand new again. It is suitable for use on sealed wood floors, laminate flooring, and no-wax floors. This should not be used on unsealed surfaces.
It has a protective glossy finish. As a result, high-traffic areas in your home are safeguarded. Scuff marks, scrapes, and filth will no longer be tolerated.
If you want gleaming flooring, this is an excellent option. It gives flooring a gleaming sheen. Customers are also utilising it to make cosplay outfits, scale models, and wooden furniture.
Quick Shine hardwood floor polish is made from pure, natural, plant-based carnauba. Aluminum, ammonia, formaldehyde, scent, paraben, phthalate, and gluten are all absent. It was recognised by the EPA as a safer alternative product. If you want a more natural alternative for a wood floor polish, we recommend this one.
The Quick Shine polish restores the colour richness and inherent attractiveness of your hardwood flooring. Make them more durable, whether they’re new or old, using this product.
It creates a protective layer, fills in minor scratches, and improves the overall appearance of your flooring.
It dries to a high shine in 30 minutes after being applied with a floor mop in uniform strokes. After that, it is completely safe for your children and dogs to return to the room.
If you have dogs, you are probably aware of how their running around may damage your hardwood flooring. You’ll probably need to polish the floors more frequently, but using a pet-safe solution. This is when Howard Products wood polish & conditioner comes in handy.
While using this product, keep your pet out of the room. Also, avoid breathing vapours and fumes. However, once the fragrance has been vented, it is okay for your dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, or whatever to return to the room!
This is also a wonderful idea for pet owners because it can be used on furniture.
Hardwood is unlikely to be the sole type of flooring in your home. We propose the Mop & Glo multi-surface floor cleaning as a multifunctional hardwood floor polish.
It cleans, polishes, and preserves floors made of hardwood, vinyl, marble, linoleum, ceramic, no-wax, and tile. As a result, your entire home may be cleaned, polished, and protected against wetness and scratch marks.
It contains the equivalent of three household cleaning products in one. It then polishes your floors, making them gleam in the light. Finally, it protects your flooring from regular wear and tear such as furniture, pet, and shoe scratches. Your floors will also be protected against food and drink spills, as well as plant leaks.
When using this detergent, you will not smell ammonia or bleach. In fact, it even leaves a pleasant mint aroma behind, leaving your house smelling fresh and clean!
Some individuals like a more matte finish, while others want a high gloss. If this describes you, the Bona Hardwood Floor Polish is something you should consider.
Prepare for a stunning makeover when using this product to polish wood floors. This will make your floors sparkle like no other. After filling up scratches, it also creates a protective coating. So, if you have dull floors, this is the remedy.
One bottle is enough to cover 500 square feet of flooring. It is suitable for use on unwaxed, unoiled, or polyurethane-finished wood floors.
This product is also Greenguard certified, which means it emits minimal levels of indoor chemical emissions, making it a safer choice for you and your family.
You may still get your engineered hardwood floors refinished! On engineered hardwood, as well as wood and hardwood floors, use the Rejuvenate Professional wood floor restorer.
To get a glossy sheen on your floors, all you need is one application and one hour of your time.
This product polishes the floor, restores the glossy lustre, and preserves it. If your floors get a lot of foot activity, this is an excellent option. Between applications, it will protect the flooring from further harm.
The product promises to fill up scratches, however users have discovered that it does not. Keep it in mind.
It is, however, a non-toxic, polyurethane-based solution that covers up to 525 square feet.
Hardwood flooring, however, are easily scratched. Whether it’s from moving furniture, having active pets, or even vacuuming. The Rejuvenate Shine Refresher hardwood polish is our best choice for removing scratches.
It is intended to erase scratches from hardwood floors, as well as linoleum, tile, vinyl, and other floor types, in an instant. This is accomplished by filling in the scratches and then covering them with a protective layer. Finally, it seals the flooring and protects them from UV radiation, which may cause hardwood to fade.
With this product, your floors will appear as good as new!
Allow it to dry completely before stepping across as normal. Otherwise, you risk scratching the protective layer. If this happens, sand the floor down, vacuum it, use a wood floor cleaner, then reapply the product.
The Howard Products Restor-A-Finish is an excellent solution for dark flooring! It is available in a variety of hues. Dark walnut, dark oak, ebony brown, and mahogany are all possibilities for dark flooring.
This product not only polishes floors, but it also removes small scratches, blemishes, and abrasions. As a result, your floors will appear a million times nicer than they did before!
It is really simple to use. Simply apply and remove with a microfiber cloth. It restores your floors without removing the original finish, allowing you to keep your floors ultra-protected.
You can keep the antique look of your flooring or other wood furniture by using this polish. However, heat rings, water damage, UV fade, oxidation, and smoke damage are all eliminated.
We do suggest that you use this product while wearing a protective mask and gloves. Once applied, exit the ventilated room until the odours have dissipated. While this product is in use, keep pets and children away from it.
Keep away from children.. It includes solvent plasticizers and wax emulsions, and if ingested, it is toxic.
A four-in-one floor product? Yes, please! If you’re searching for hardwood floor polish and cleaning, the Orange Glo Hardwood floor is a fantastic option.
This tool allows you to multitask. It cleans, polishes, protects and revitalizes your flooring. You no longer need to follow four lengthy stages because this product does all of the hard work for you.
The product directions suggest applying this once a month to maintain your flooring in good condition. Some consumers, however, only use it every several months. Keep an eye on your flooring to see when they need to be refinished.
First and foremost, this solution removes dirt and filth. Then it fills in scratches, forms a water-resistant layer, and leaves a long-lasting shine.
Hardwood Floor Polish FAQs
Best Hardwood Floor Polishes Bottom Line
When you keep your hardwood flooring in pristine shape, you may dazzle your guests. That includes keeping them clean, treating them, and, of course, polishing them. You can get the best hardwood floor shine for your house with our top hardwood floor polish suggestions.
We recommend the Pledge Floor Gloss Liquid if you’re on a tight budget. Check out the Rejuvenate Shine Refresher if you’re looking to get rid of those ugly scratches. Finally, if you prefer a more natural choice, you could choose the Quick Shine Hardwood Floor Polish.