Did you know that your plastic shower curtain can get dirty, grimy and moldy? Follow this guide on how to clean a shower curtain and wash your shower curtain today.
Shower curtains are just one of those things we don’t really think about when it comes to keeping the house clean. I mean, as a mom of 3 and a busy homemaker, blogger and professional cook (just kidding, I shove most of my meals in the oven) there are parts of the house that I just plain forget about, and the shower curtain is one of those places.
It is actually very easy to clean, so there really isn’t an excuse to ignore it. You can wash the shower curtain by hand or in the washing machine.
This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure here.
How To Wash A Plastic Shower Curtain Using The Washing Machine
To wash your shower curtain in the washing machine take it off of your shower rod and place it into the washing machine. Add 2 bath towels to the load. The towels will help scrub away the grime. You can add a cup of baking soda to the washer if you think your shower curtain may be moldy. Continue to add your regular detergent and start a warm water cycle on delicate. Hang the curtain back up in the bathroom and spread it out fully so it can dry.
Do not wash your shower curtain in cold water. The cold water can make the plastic liner hard and brittle and this makes it easier to break and tear in the washer.
Also do not put your plastic liner into the dyer. The liner can melt in the dryer which would destroy both your dryer and your plastic curtain.
How to wash your shower curtain liner by hand
To wash your shower curtain by hand using a damp microfiber cloth and some water and baking soda for a complete clean. Takedown your shower curtain and lay it out as flat as you can. Wipe the entire curtain with water and baking soda to remove the grime. Rinse off the shower curtain with your shower wand or by pouring water onto it in the bathtub. Hang the curtain up to dry in the bathroom. Make sure it is fully rinsed before hanging it back up.
Keeping your Shower Curtain Clean
You shouldn’t have to wash your shower curtain/curtain liner very often, especially if you care for it in between showers.
To care for your shower curtain follow these simple rules:
- Keep the shower curtain closed and fully spread out after you finish your shower so it can dry full and quicker than if it’s all scrunched up.
- Open a window or turn on the fan after you finish your shower for 15-30 minutes to allow the room to dry. You can even run the fan while you shower to speed up the process.
- Squeegee your tub or shower walls right after use to reduce the moisture in the room. It only takes a minute and it immediately minimizes moisture.
- Use a daily shower spray using this recipe DIY shower spray to keep your shower curtain fresh and clean on a daily basis.
- Wash your bath mats and towels on a regular basis. You don’t want wet towels in the bathroom to promote mold growth.
If you take care of your shower curtain you should be able to keep it in your bathroom for a few years before needing to replace it completely.
How Often Should You Wash The Plastic Shower Curtain
You should wash it at least once a month. However, you should strive to clean your plastic shower curtain at least once every three months. When you think about it, four to twelve times a year isn’t all that frequent, and the process shouldn’t take long now that you know how to wash a shower curtain.
More Bathroom Cleaning Articles
- How to Quickly and Efficiently Green Clean the Bathroom
- How To Clean Bathroom Rugs Of All Types
- How To Clean A Shower Curtain That Is Plastic
- Powerful DIY Daily Shower Cleaner (Homemade Spray)
- How To Remove Black Mold From Shower Caulk
- The One Thing You Need To Do To Keep Your Toilet Clean Longer
- How To Clean Shower Doors With Vinegar