Finding mould in your house may be a shocking discovery. So, what’s next?

Mould removal is a major worry for many individuals since it can result in structural damage. Worse still, mould may be hazardous to people who suffer from allergies or have weakened immune systems. 

Bleach is regarded as the most effective mould remover. If you’re on the fence about whether or not bleach is the best option for you, keep reading to learn when bleach is appropriate and when another substance should be used instead.

This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure here.

Does Bleach Kill Mold?

Mould can grow almost everywhere there is moisture. It can develop on surfaces like as walls, floors, carpets, appliances, and furniture. Kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements are the most common places to detect mould.

Mould can only be controlled if there is no remaining water or humidity. If you already have mould in your house, you must eliminate it and address the moisture issue. It won’t come back that way.

Bleach is promoted as one of the most effective mould-removal products. This, however, may not be the ideal option for all surfaces. As a result, glance at the surface first to see if it’s porous or not. If that’s the case, you shouldn’t use bleach.

Why Doesn’t Bleach Kill Mold on Porous Surfaces?

Bleach is helpful in some situations, but not on porous surfaces. Bleach not only fails to eradicate mould on porous surfaces, but it can actually exacerbate the problem.

Mould may develop in microscopic holes (pores) in porous materials. The bleach’s water component will seep through these pores, perhaps promoting mould development.

On the surface, it appears like you’ve killed the mould, but in reality, you’re effectively feeding it. Using distilled white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to eradicate mould in porous materials like wood and drywall is the proper method.

How to Kill Mold Using Bleach

Have you decided on the technique and type of bleach you’ll use? Now we’ll show you how to get rid of mould efficiently.

First, here are some safety precautions to think about:

  • Keep your hands safe by using gloves to prevent bleach from coming into touch with your skin. Put on a mask, goggles, and old clothing you don’t mind being stained.
  • Remember to open windows and doors since bleach emits toxic odours.

Chlorine Bleach

Follow these steps if you’ve chosen chlorine bleach:

  • Change things up: To a gallon of water, add a cup of bleach. One cup bleach to ten cups water is the bleach-to-water ratio. You can compute the quantity based on the size of the surface.
  • Prepare the solution as follows: Fill a clean, dry spray container halfway with the mixture.
  • Allow it to rest: Allow to dry after spraying the mixture on a mouldy surface. The length of time required will vary depending on the surface and the intensity of the mould, but at least 30 minutes is required.
  • Scrub if necessary: Scrub the area with a bristle brush if the surface is rough or uneven.
  • Rinse and rinse the zone with plain water before allowing it to air dry.

Oxygen Bleach

On the package of most oxygen bleach detergents is an instruction handbook. If you follow these procedures and keep the following proportions in mind, you will be able to successfully eradicate the mould:

  • Prepare your response: For better solubility, mix the oxygen bleach powder with warm or hot water. The following are the proportions: 15 cup per gallon of water to 1 cup Fill a clean, dry sprayer halfway with the solution.
  • Wait and spray: Spray the mouldy area with the solution and let it sit for 15 minutes.
  • Rinse and dry: Thoroughly rinse the area with water before wiping it dry.
  • Instead of a sprayer, you may use a scrubber, cloth, or sponge and follow the same procedures.

Is it better to kill mould with bleach or vinegar?

Mold may be killed by both vinegar and bleach. However, if we had to choose between the two, we would choose vinegar. In reality, vinegar may destroy the fungus on both hard and porous surfaces, killing the mould right at its source.

It’s crucial to remember that bleach is only effective against mould on dry surfaces. So, if you’re not sure what sort of surface you’re working with, we recommend using vinegar.

Also, vinegar is a moderately acidic substance that may be used to eradicate mould in a non-toxic manner. When coupled with baking soda, it may be quite effective.

Should You Kill Mold With Bleach?

Many of your household cleaning products, you might be shocked to find, include bleach in some form. Bleach is used in stain removers, toilet cleaners, and even tile residue removers.

When it comes to destroying bacteria, bleach is quite efficient. Unfortunately, it has negative health consequences, especially when misused.

When exposed to bleach fumes, if you have a respiratory disease, you may experience discomfort. When using bleach, some people reported feeling nauseated, coughing fits, and a stinging sting in their nose and eyes.

Bleach is dangerous on its own, but when mixed with additional chemicals from cleaning goods, it may be even more dangerous.

Bleach and ammonia should never be mixed since hazardous fumes might result. Bleach should not be used with drain cleaners, window cleaners, or dishwashing detergents.

Bleach is also extremely harmful to your pets. It can stick to the paws and fur of your dogs. Unfortunately, they will absorb the toxic toxin if they lick themselves.

It’s recommended not to use bleach if you have a bird or a tiny pet. Even the tiniest amount of bleach fumes inhaled can make them very ill.

Types of Bleach to Kill Mold

Mould can be killed by both chlorine bleach and oxygen bleach, although the two are very different.

A solution of chlorine and sodium hypochlorite, commonly known as caustic soda, is used in chlorine bleach.

Most chlorine-containing home detergents will be branded as “laundry bleach” or “bleach.” The EPA and the US Department of Agriculture have both authorized chlorine as a chemical substance. It’s utilized in sterilizing and the manufacture of safe food.

Chlorine bleach, on the other hand, is a powerful disinfectant that is used to keep bacteria at bay. Nonetheless, the EPA advises against using it as a mould-killing treatment.

Chlorine bleach is a very hazardous chemical that emits dangerous chemicals into the environment.

It also remains in the water, where it can be hazardous to aquatic life if it builds enough.

Meanwhile, oxygen bleach is a biodegradable and environmentally friendly sanitizer that works just as well as chlorine bleach. It’s formed of sodium percarbonate, which dissolves in water and transforms into water, oxygen, and sodium carbonate.

It’s a non-toxic, colourless, and odourless substance that comes in powder or liquid form.

Is There a Different Way to Get Rid of Mold?

Other non-toxic techniques to eradicate mould without jeopardizing your health or the health of your loved ones may be desirable. Here are a few natural remedies that we recommend.

Vinegar

As previously said, vinegar is one of the most efficient, non-toxic, and natural ways to destroy mould.

Pour some distilled vinegar into a clean and dry spray container. Allow one hour for the vinegar to work its magic on the mouldy area. After that, rinse the area with water and allow it to dry.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal effects.

Fill a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide (3 percent concentration). Spray liberally over the mould and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then scrape the area with a scrub brush and wipe it clean.

Baking Soda

Baking soda, commonly known as sodium bicarbonate, can be used to destroy mould. It’s a natural and safe alternative.

Add a quarter of a spoonful of baking soda to a spray bottle filled with water. Shake the container vigorously until the baking soda is thoroughly dissolved. Spritz the mouldy area.

Scrub the area with a scrub brush and then wipe it clean. To keep the mould from returning, re-spray the area and let it dry.

How to Prevent Mold in the Future

Don’t panic; the mould is gone, but you don’t want it to come back. Mould will grow in any area where there has been water damage, such as through leaks or flooding.

If water damage occurs, make careful to repair it as soon as possible and then completely dry the area. Here are some suggestions for preventing mould from forming:

  • Avoid high humidity: Keep the humidity as low as possible (30% to 50%) throughout the day. A dehumidifier or an air conditioner can help with this.
  • Wet regions have no carpets: In rooms or locations where there is a lot of water consumption, such as restrooms, laundry rooms, and basements, don’t lay down carpets or a lot of rugs.
  • Ventilate: Make sure your home is well ventilated. Ensure that there are vents in the kitchen and bathroom.
  • Repair water leaks: If you find water leaks in your walls, pipes, roofs, or even plant pots, attempt to fix them right away or contact a maintenance firm. After resolving the issue, immediately dry the affected area.

Mould Is Dangerous

Mould is a problem that affects a large number of houses. It’s a topic that irritates many homes, and it may have a negative impact on inhabitants’ health.

If you’re dealing with non-porous surfaces, you can use bleach to get rid of mould. Vinegar works wonders on porous surfaces.

Do you want to go with a more natural, non-toxic option? You may also use hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, or baking soda, all of which are quite effective.

If these home treatments do not work and the mould is extensive and severe, move on to the next stage. Call a mould removal expert who will examine the mould and determine the best approach to get rid of it.

Related Posts